Saturday, August 16, 2008

Mwasuzeotyano Banyabo ne Bassebo


Hello!
(Explanation of Title) I just greeted you (pl) in Luganda: How did you spend the night? There are approximately 3 main greetings here. Greetings are incredibly important for conversation. Life here has been quite a learning experience...and I have only been here 1 week! I am at an internet caffe in Wakiso right now...spending approximately 750 Ugandan shillings for 1/2 hr. (less than $1; $1=1610ushs) of internet usage. Pretty sweet deal. Our life here right now, and probably for the next two months, is pretty structured. I go from my homestay to the training site every day during the week (8am-5pm), then the "city" Wakiso (more like a very small town). We have language in the morning, then tea (chai), then a lecture (these range from health to the history of Uganda), then lunch, then another lecture. At the end of the day we are all pretty mentally exhausted. Craziness! After the diversity lecture, one of the lecturers (a volunteer already for over a year) came up to me and asked if I went to DePaul. He recognized me and then he told me he graduated with my class in 2006! It is a small world after all. My homestay family is very nice. My jaja (grandmother) speaks no English, so communication with her is difficult, but most of my brothers I, N, A, A, and my sister N speak English pretty well. It is an interesting family dynamic because my jaja's mwami (husband) is no longer living, so there is no male authority figure at all. I actually like it very much this way because many of the other PCT volunteers have fathers who are quite intimidating and rarely speak to them. When I first arrived in my homestay, there were about 13 children ranging in ages from 7 to 19. It is amazing that they have just one maid (O - who is wonderful and helps me with my flashcards in the morning!) for such a large family. Many of my sisters and brothers have slowly disappeared over the week, possibly to school or to their mother/father's house. Family here is incredibly close. Many of my brothers and sisters real mothers and fathers live in Kampala, while they live with their jaja/mama, possibly due to financial circumstances. When I arrive home, around 7pm, we have tea, then maybe play a few games of cards. I taught my family "Bullshit", which they love. It is quite funny listening to them speak in Luganda and then call out "Bullshit" all of a sudden. My sister N also enjoys listening to my music (I knew someone else besides me would like Alanis :P!). For just a week, I can some what get around Wakiso using Luganda. Luganda is the language I am learning, while some of the other PCT volunteers are learning two of the other main languages. Because I am learning Luganda, I will be situated during my two years, around central Uganda. Speaking the language is kind of fun until you realize there are no more words in your vocabulary list to talk with the people in the katali (market). Until I have time to post again...Sula Bilungi! (good night)



8 comments:

Mom said...

Amy,
so good to hear from u, all sounds great...lv u bunches xoxox

Andrea said...

Hi Amy!!! Yay I'm glad you are doing so well! I can't wait to hear more about your experiences! I still hope i can visit you maybe in a year! miss you!!!

Kai said...

Oli otya?
Webale for your wonderful accounts of the grand familia..
Aye, can't wait to join you there soon..

Tunalabagana!

Dawn said...

Hey lady!!! It's nice to hear that things are going well and that you've already had a chance to corrupt your family...with you I knew it would only be a matter of time:-). I can't wait to hear more about your experiences and just know that I'm thinking about you and miss you like crazy. Oh...and I plan on getting around to that book list sometime soon too, it looks awesome! Hope that all continues to go well and that I hear from you soon:-)

Brian said...

Hey Amy,

This is Simba, Stacey's dog. I don't have much time, because she is probably going to be back soon. Your trip sounds good. I know we didn't hang out or interact that much, being that you had that bloody cat, but I wanted you to know that I miss you. At least you left me alone! You should see some of the stuff Stacey does when we are alone. First, sometimes she starts to kiss me, but not like her little "kissies." She starts frenching me! It's really grotesque, Amy, to be honest. Then, sometimes, she puts a diaper on me and a bonnet and pushes me around the apartment in a stroller, pretending that I'm her baby. I'm just thankful that no one is around to see me in that situation! Why do you think I always stare so blankly at everything and hit my head on the ground when I jump? It's to numb myself of the surroundings! Every night I go to sleep and have nightmares of mickey mouse or the little mermaid coming to attack me. It's bad. I think she's back, I have to go. Good luck!

Simba

Adam said...

Awesome stories, Amy. Keep them coming!

Uwem said...

Hey Amy,

Almost missed out of the fun.
Nice to hear you are doing fine.
Believe me, the opening story makes me wanna come around and take a tour around.
Good to know you are adjusting so fast (1 week)!
How about the foods? You talked about the tea.

Stacey/ Sista said...

Hey Sista,
Interesting blog. I would love to talk to some of the teachers you work with. Do they work with children or adults.
My Halloween costume was amazing. I won a Halloween contest so poo poo on you only liking scary junk.
Lastly, you have not taste in movies. Enchanted was amazing, you need to watch more then 30 minutes to enjoy the entire movie.
Well, it sounds like you are doing well.
Talk to you soon.
Love you bunches
Stacey xoxo